Monday, December 7, 2009

Day at Sepang

I attended the Canon Sports workshop over the weekend

Mission of the day was to test our the 7D's AF tracking

Some sample shots below.








The 7D is a vast improvement over my 450D in terms of focus accuracy and speed, even using the same 55-250IS, which is rather slow.


The Sifu himself, Ruddie.

Got plenty of valuable tips from him today. Once of which after asking him why the pictures are soft even though the panning was good (I was shooting as low as 1/40), he mentioned that at that speed, its not the panning technique - he liked the background blur, but more like the racecar bouncing around on the track. Something the eyes can't see, but the camera picks up.


So i suppose, next time I will have to shoot at higher shutter speeds.


Unfortunately, I had a prior appointment so I had to leave early missing out on some of the picture review session.

Great to meet up with Ian Ho and Ben Lim from lowyat network.

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Hey.. excellent pics! nice to meet you during this event. Keep in touch..

Anonymous said...

Panning shots blur due to the car bouncing on the track? Never thought of that myself... :)

Nice shots anyway!

-charsiu

4G63TDSM said...

Hi Kev, Nice to meet you as well.

No doubt you would have gotten some nice shots as well.


Charsiu

Ever quite occured to me as well until he pointed it out. Then it all made sense. These race cars are stiffly sprung and do bounce a lot on the track, or when going over the rumble strips.



I do like the rx7 shot with the 911 chasing most . Kindda puts the point across how it feels like in the drivers' seat. Having to tame the loose rear end of the car with a "ghost" of a car dodging behind you, everything is a "blur" to the driver.

I think thats the best "story" of that shot.

Quazacolt said...

Really nice pictures, and im using the 450D as well, seeing your comment about it, makes me feel a little moved to get the 7D ^^;;

4G63TDSM said...

Q,

Not sure who you are of if you are from lyn.

Don't get me wrong, the 450D is more than sufficient in getting good pics like this (you can dig my past events shots). The 7D has advantages of more user selected focus points so you can frame your subject better.

I have other reasons to get the 7D, very much more the low light performance compared to the 450D than the AF performance.

But that in mind, the 7D is 2 times more expensive than the 450, obviously you expect better performance.

danial anis said...

wow nice pics jeremy ... =) just tot id say HI