Just barely reaching the security gate, the stereo starting flaking out..... I thought little of it and assume a power connection has gotten loose. But, a few kms later, the lights began to dim and I knew that I had a major electrical fault.
To make matters worst it was raining, and all the light started to fail, and the rain wipers stopped working properly.
Made a U and got the car home running on reserve power and the diagnosis is the usual suspect. A dead alternator.
Fortunately, I had a spare alternator so it looks the like the evening was to be spent working on the car...
The Culprit1.5 hour later (its usually a < 1 hour job, but due to bad lighting I was feeling more than seeing my way around), got the alternator in, jump started the car and went for a drive. So far so good this morning.
FWIW, the battery probaby saved the day. If it was a cheaper one, I might not have made it home.
Ironically, the failed alternator is a re-built unit that I had put in because I noticed that the current one is undervolting a little (barely making 12V on load). Weird that the "new" one only lasted a few months. Time perhaps for a new 90A Mitsu unit .
I really miss not having access to a proper shop, with my own set of proper tools. Working on a car with basic tools can be aggravating and spine breaking. I really miss my old flexhead gear wrenches
1 comment:
Open your own :P
Post a Comment